Staying Safe as You Get Back on the Road During Coronavirus Pandemic
August 28, 2020
The 2020 COVID-19 pandemic had a major impact on just about every facet of our society. The roads were no different. As people stayed home, there was a major decrease in the number of vehicles on the road. Unfortunately, reckless driving still plagued the streets. Houston car accident lawyers are confronted with the new cases the pandemic has brought and are helping clients get back to their normal lives.
As we get back outside and lockdown restrictions are lifted, we will see an influx of cars return to the road.
According to the National Safety Council there was an increase in numbers of deaths across the country in the past months of lockdown because people took advantage of the nearly empty streets. Reckless drivers engaged in speeding and stunts amongst other erratic behaviors.
As lockdown restrictions continue to disappear and more people are back on the road, it is important to practice safe driving.
Road Safety During COVID-19
After months of being at home, it is important to remember these precautions for safe driving:
- Obey the rules of the road. This is an umbrella that covers many topics you will encounter in traffic. Get back to the basics and simply obey the law.
- Make sure your vehicle is working properly and offers good visibility. Check your mirrors, turn signals, tire pressure, and all other components necessary for safe driving.
- Avoid dangerous weather conditions. Slow down or park somewhere when faced with heavy rain or other unsafe hazards.
- Stay alert when behind the wheel. Be sure to drive only when you feel rested and in good disposition. Drowsy driving can be just as fatal as driving drunk.
- Be a focused driver. Eliminate all distractions including people who are not good passengers. Cell phones should not be used while driving. In an urgent scenario, pull off to the side of the road to engage in any type of cell phone activity.
- Keep a significant distance between you and other vehicles. Many accidents occur because drivers follow too closely and don’t have time to avoid the crash.
Seek Legal Support from Houston Personal Injury Lawyers
Damages from accidents may appear far after the event. At times, the lasting effects appear months or years after the injuries. A personal injury attorney Houston has the necessary experience to seek fair compensation for your damages. Call Daniel Williams & Associates for a free consultation today!